- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Bournemouth University, (2018-present)
- Masters of Resource Management (M.R.M.), University Centre of the Westfjords (2016-2018)
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc. Hons), Memorial University of Newfoundland, (2012-2016)
I am a PhD student with Bournemouth University and the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust. The focus of my research is to test the hypothesis that contemporary population declines in anadromous salmonids are a function of changes in their migration phenology.
External links and affiliations
Simmons, O.M., Britton, J.R, Gillingham, P.K., Nevoux, M., Riley, W.D., Rivot, E., Gregory, S.D., (iaccepted). Predicting the effects of environmental factors and juvenile body length on adult marine return rates of Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. Journal of Fish Biology. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfb.14946
Simmons, O.M., Gregory, S.D., Gillingham, P.K., Riley, W.D., Scott, L.J., Britton, J.R. (2021). Biological and environmental influences on the migration phenology of Atlantic salmon Salmo salar smolts in a chalk stream in southern England. Freshwater Biology. https://doi.org/10.1111/fwb.13776
Marsh, J.M., Lauridsen, R.B., Riley, W.D., Simmons, O.M., Artero, C., Scott, L.J., Beaumont, W.R.C., Beaumont, W.A., Davy-Bowker, J., Lecointre, T., Roberts, D.E., Gregory, S.D. (2021). Warm winters and cool springs negatively influence recruitment of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in southern England. Journal of Fish Biology, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfb.14760
Simmons, O.M., Britton, J.R., Gillingham, P.K., & Gregory, S.D. (2020) Influence of environmental and biological factors on the overwinter growth rate of Atlantic salmon Salmo salar in a UK chalk stream. Ecology of Freshwater Fish, 29 (4), 665-678. https://doi.org/10.1111/eff.12542
Simmons, O.M., Thorsteinsson, M., & Ólafsdóttir, G.Á (2019) Trophic dynamics of anadromous brown trout and Arctic charr in NW Iceland and their correlation to salmon lice infestation. Polar Biology, 42, 2119–2130. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00300-019-02586-1
Gregory, S.D., Ibbotson, A.T., Riley, W.D., Nevoux, M., Lauridsen, R.B., Russel, I.C., Britton, J.R., Gillingham, P.K., Simmons, O.M., Rivot, E. (2019). Atlantic salmon return rate increases with smolt length. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 76, 1702–1712. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsz066
- Simmons, O.M. (2018) An Assessment of the Ecology of Escaped Farmed Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in the Westfjords, Iceland, MRM thesis, University Centre of the Westfjords, Iceland. http://hdl.handle.net/1946/31327
- Simmons, O.M. (2016) Progression of an alien invasion: The European green crab, Carcinus maenas (Linnaeus, 1758), in Bonne Bay, Newfoundland, BSc. (Hons) thesis, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
Selected oral and poster presentations
- Predicting the effects of environmental factors and juvenile body length on adult marine return rates of Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. NoWPaS Workshop 2021, virtual meeting.
- Timing is Everything: factors that affect Atlantic salmon smolt migration phenology. NoWPaS Workshop 2020, University of Iceland, Laugarvatn, Iceland.
- Climate Effects Overwinter Growth Rate of Juvenile Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar). 5th Annual Post Graduate Researcher Conference 2019, Bournemouth University, UK. Awarded third place for poster presentation.
- Predicting the implications of changes in migration phenology for the conservation of Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar). NoWPaS Workshop 2019, Scottish Centre for Ecology and the Natural Environment, Rowardennan, Scotland.
- An Assessment of the Ecology of Escaped Farmed Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in the Westfjords, Iceland. The 7th Ecological Society of Iceland conference 2018, Reykjavík, Iceland.
- The European Green Crab (Carcinus maenas) in Bonne Bay, Newfoundland. Science Atlantic Aquaculture and Fisheries Conference 2016, Halifax, Canada.