Devolution from the EU provides a huge opportunity to consider the future of UK food and farming and its integration with environmental, trade and employment policy. This will involve answering many questions about how it shapes the future of agriculture, such as:
- Can we have viable farming without subsidies?
- Do we want food security or self-sufficiency?
- Will free trade agreements result in lower food standards (GMO crops and hormone-treated livestock products)?
- Will environmental payments and legislation be scrapped? If so, what happens next?
- Is this the end of small family farms as we know them?
The Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust is uniquely placed to give a practical vision of key aspects of this debate through its Allerton Project, which combines commercial farming and conservation practices.
- Lord Curry of Kirkharle Kt CBE FRAgS
- Teresa Dent CBE, CEO of the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust